All subjects within the Science National Curriculum are planned for and covered in full within the KS1 and KS2 school curriculum over a two year cycle in KS1 and a four year cycle in KS2. It is organised into discrete, subject specific work taught as ‘stand-alone’ units of learning and ‘cross-curricular’ learning where meaningful links can be made with other subjects that help secure prior learning or develop learning further.
Some topics covered include:
- Plants - identification, lifecycles, growth
- Animals, including humans - types of animals, growth, lifecycles, digestive and circulatory systems, evolution
- Forces - gravity, friction, magnetism
- Electricity - circuits and how they work
- Light - how we see, shadows, the eye
- States of matter - solids, liquids and gases, reversible and irreversible changes
- I like it when we do experiments. I enjoy them and think they go well for me!
- I enjoy working in a group - we have fun in our science lessons.
- I really enjoyed dissecting flowers and melting chocolate!
- I enjoyed learning about terminal velocity in our STEM sessions because we got to make parachutes.
- I like that we learn new things.